Several years ago NY State legislative houses tried almost the same law proposal and it failed. Why? It was an impossible law that was
1) not enforceable by police agencies
2) a burden to police agencies - in this case it would be the Sheriff's department
3) poorly defined the people to be covered under the law
4) poorly defined the merchandise to be covered under the law
5) created undue financial burden on small business owners - in the current proposal that's $250 per year
6) created impossible reporting requirements that would in effect make criminals out of the business owners who must report
Nothing has been resolved in the Monroe County proposal to fix any of these problems. It will not solve crime nor help in the recovery of stolen goods. It will cause businesses to close thereby affecting a net loss to retail sales tax coming into the county.
Anyone who sells "some old jewelry" will be affected by this proposal. It is imperative to speak to your county representative about the failings of the proposed law. And plan to attend the hearing on April 9 @ 6.
Website powered by Foundation