Author of this article: What is the suspension rate for RCSD for the current school year? This is what makes me mad. Where are the questions? Only the superintendent can issue out of school suspensions. Kids are assaulting staff and other students and are not held accountable THAT is why behaviors are worse than ever- evident in why the district lost its transportation.
It's deeper than the test. You Gotta Say It is correct again. Why did the union agree to this APPR nonsense? Now they seem desperate and are trying to get parents on board. If the union cared so much, why did they throw the rock and hid its hand?
The frenzy that goes on with this testing has dubious intentions in my opinion. The amount of resources alone is mind blowing. 6 school days wasted on this foolishness. And teachers have to grade theses tests ( maybe 2-3 teachers per school). A sub will have to be hired for yet another empty day.
What will people say about this she mentality in the years to come?
@ Eric Maloney -African immigrants didn't have the "luxury " of having the amazing African American experience. With slavery, Jim Crow, black Wall Street massacre. Systemic dehumanization that immigrants now benefit from-? Extremely offensive Mr. Maloney. I don't always agree with Mr. Eagle, but I recognize his passion. What is interesting to me as how quick we call Eagle crazy but we stand behind a crazy failing system that has done very little for people of color. I see publishing companies, politicians, six figure salaried folk benefiting- I also see kids going to school for years and can't read. This sounds very familiar to me. A segment of people benefiting on the backs of others. Check yourself.
1000 a month is affordable?
Gotta say it hits it on the nail. Poverty has been used as a distraction for too long. It is an important issue but it's been thrown in too many discussions to sway accountability away from those who are accountable.
1. Break up the district. Make it competitive.
2. Make the folks at the top accountable the same way the teachers are.
3. Explore and commit to alternative programs/schools. All city was a success. The district and the board didn't get any data to see how much of a success it was. I cannot understand how the RCSD who is at the bottom in the state- and no one thought to get data from this program?! Staff who worked there knew about the success.
4. Utilize boces.
5. Hire reading teachers who are familiar with helping older students learn how to read. If you have to cut the already over bloated staff at central office to do this do it. It should be against the law that a child gets to 9th grade and can't read. This one emotes such a passion in me I can barely contain it. My thinking is this: if we can't afford to supply our schools with resources that work in teaching all of our children literacy, we can't afford a school board, secretaries that make 75k a year, a director in charge of RCSDdiscipline(seriously where are you), an AA studies program ( MIA as well), I can go on. And on. OUR KIDS MUST BOOST THEIR READING LEVELS.
6. Higher ups really need to visit the schools more. Not knowing what is going on is a luxury the RCSD cannot afford. I would love to see the dep super work as a building sub for a month, along with Vargas and other important leaders who make very serious decisions.
I'm sure I'll be kicking myself tomorrow because I forgot one or two. Enjoy your holiday!
All Comments »
Website powered by Foundation.