Pin It

Romeo prevails in Monroe County clerk Democratic primary 

click to enlarge Jamie Romeo - PHOTO BY JACOB WALSH
  • Jamie Romeo
County Clerk Jamie Romeo, who is running to keep the position Governor Andrew Cuomo appointed her to in February, will carry the Democratic line in the November general election, according to unofficial primary results released Wednesday by the Monroe County Board of Elections.

The board is expected to certify the results in coming days.

The county Democratic party endorsed Romeo, who finished slightly behind challenger Jennifer Boutte when polls closed on voting day, June 23. But more voters cast absentee and affidavit ballots than visited polling sites and Romeo carried close to 65 percent of those 32,502 votes. With all ballots counted, Romeo received 57 percent of the 58,319 votes cast in the race; Boutte received the remaining 43 percent.

Romeo said she’s grateful for the results and noted that as her campaign wrestled with how and when to reach out to voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it made a tactical decision to focus on absentee ballots. That decision seems to have paid off.

“This campaign cycle has just been so upside down,” Romeo said.

Romeo also said that this year’s primary showed mail-in balloting can work in New York, as long as boards of elections are provided with adequate resources.

Prior to taking the county clerk position, Romeo held the 136th Assembly District seat.

Romeo will face Republican County Legislator Karla Boyce in November’s general election. Romeo will also have the Working Families Party and Independence Party lines, while Boyce will have the Conservative Party line.

Jeremy Moule is CITY's news editor. He can be reached at


Browse Listings

Submit an event
Eco-Book Club & Hike @ Cumming Nature Center

Eco-Book Club & Hike @ Cumming Nature Center

Screening & Chat: <br>"Asian Americans" @ Livestream

Screening & Chat:
"Asian Americans"
@ Livestream

The virtual screening will be followed by a chat with guests Mimi...

View all of today's events »

Tweets @RocCityNews

© 2020 City Newspaper.

Website powered by Foundation.